Living & Learning is the core of Ta’leef Collective’s community programming. Coupling sacred education with arts and culture, this unique approach to learning benefits a wide range of attendees from first time visitors to seasoned students.
Living & Learning
What is this program?
The goals of the program are as follows:
- Provide attendees with applicable social and spiritual skills to assist them in their personal journeys.
- Offer attendees an understanding of Islam that is relevant to their daily practice.
- Build community through fellowship and edutainment.
Since Ta’leef Collective’s inception, Living & Learning has reached thousands, with offerings including Arabic, Qur’an, Islamic Theology, Law and Spirituality, Mindfulness, Photography, Poetry, Calligraphy, and Drumming. Such offerings include weekly, monthly, and quarterly classes, workshops, and events listed below.
Matters of the Heart (weekly)
A class on lessons in spiritual cultivation from Imam Al-Ghazali’s “Marvels of the Heart,” offers guidance on identifying key tenets of Islam and the inner life of the soul.
Living Right (monthly)
Borrowing from traditional texts and conventional wisdom, “Living Right” is a forum for newcomers to Islam, young people recommitting themselves to the Deen, or anyone seeking practical ways to progress spiritually.
Introducing Islam (quarterly)
This friendly, informal discussion-based workshop is for anyone curious about Islam and Muslims. Feel welcome to bring your questions, concerns, and curiosity. Come and explore with us one of the world's largest faith traditions.
Matters of the Heart (weekly)
A class on lessons in spiritual cultivation from Imam Al-Ghazali’s “Marvels of the Heart”.
Cultivating Mindfulness (weekly)
Mindfulness meditation offers simple techniques, which use the breath and the body to anchor the practitioner in the present moment. Benefits of mindfulness meditation include stress reduction, heightened emotional understanding, and an increased awareness and acceptance of others and ourselves.
Being Muslim (weekly)
This weekly class will give learners an understanding of the vision and spirit of Islam, beginning at the most basic level. Topics will include: an introduction to the Qur’an, prayer and fasting, morality in everyday life, developing good character, destiny and fate, and the life of the Prophet Muhammad.
Introducing Islam (monthly)
Breaking Bread (quarterly)
A community event with Ta’leef Collective board members, staff, and volunteers intended to bring together regular and new attendees, their families, friends, and anyone looking to share a meal.
- Body, Mind, Soul (Hakim Ilyas)
- Empowering our Families (Mark Gonzales)
- Healing our Stories: An Introduction to Narrative Medicine (Mark Gonzales)
- Living Islam with Purpose (Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah)
- Living with the Prophet (Usama Canon)
- Muhammad in the Bible (Ustadh Ali Ataie)
- Purification and Prayer (Shaykh Faraz Rabbani)
- Thought Leadership Series (Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah)
- Thought Leadership Series (Dr. Sherman Jackson)
- Understanding the Practice (Ustadha Noura Shamma)
- Wayfaring to God (Syeda Nejma Davis)
Past & Current Instructors
- Adrian Wood-smith
- Asad Tarsin
- David Coolidge
- Dr. Rami Nashashibi
- Dr. Sherman Jackson
- Dr. Umar Faruq Abd-Allah
- Habib Umar bin Hafiz
- Hakim Ilyas
- Imam Zaid Shakir
- Intisar Benhalim
- Mark Gonzales
- Marlon Altan
- Micah Anderson
- Michael Sugich
- Mustafa Davis
- Parvez Ahmed
- Sara Sabagh
- Seema Sweid
- Shaykh Faraz Rabbani
- Sulaiman Arancibia
- Syeda Nejma Davis
- Ubaidullah Evans
- Ustadh Ali Ataie
- Ustadha Noura Shamma